Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Playing Hooky


I didn't go into my internship today and went with some girls from the house to ramble around Recoleta and go to the HUGE cemetery again. It was so worth it! We saw some fruit stands that we drooled over (left) and a little bit of cool, Banksy-esque stencil graffiti (I'm preparing myself for the graffiti tour I'm taking this weekend.) My camera is going out so much more now... it's a good thing too, the weather is beginning to be unbelievably beautiful.

Tomorrow I foresee another day of little work (minus the translating I'm doing,) and lots of play.
As for work (at Conciencia) I still have not gone to the promised barrio for surveying, but I mean, as I have mentioned previously, things move at lava pace in this country. I am patiently waiting for a call, and then off I will go by train to change the world (okay, or maybe just a neighborhood in northern BA.)
My other time-consuming project now is translating a document from the Conflict Center from english into spanish essentially for the Ministry of Education in BA. I'm under the assumption that they will be using this teaching manual/class structure for the jails... Although I'm not positive. Anyway it is very time sensitive (aka done by November) so I'm having to crank out a good 4 pages of translation per sunny day in order to finish the 80 page monster in time.
All is well, in fact better than well...
Here is my new photo album, Wandering Recoleta, and make sure to check out my album Week One Recoleta if you love the cemetery pics, I added a few more from the previous visit. I'm finally figuring out Picassa 3.5 for my Mac.
Besos,
Breezy

2 comments:

  1. Breezy! Your photos are beautiful and it sounds like you are settling in well. You will change the world or a corner of. Remember....patience! We Americans are instant gratification sorts and that does not always serve us well. Be safe and have fun!
    Mama Meads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pics, and not only because they are the same subjects that attract me. Graffiti tour--yes! I have some great street art from Paris, and even from our own Hollywood (the rattier part).

    Even if you don't take on the kind of project you had hoped for, I feel it does make some difference being a non-jerk American abroad, speaking the language. To say nothing of the way it changes you to get an intimate feel for a different part of the world.

    The translation should start to move faster as you continue.

    So, whazzup? Tango? Cafe-life? Shopping? The personalities at Consciencia? I'd like to hear about those things too.

    Love, Nana Karen

    ReplyDelete