Monday, November 9, 2009

Some Would Call This Heaven



Wipe the drool from off your face... these are my new, and my only Argentine goodies.
The bags (cross body in forest, fringed clutch in deep purple) are from a small, independent design company Luria here in BA that I fell in love with on my aforementioned graffiti tour. When we stopped in on the tour, we had mere seconds to touch and lust over the oversized, studded bags in this closet-sized boutique. I am not one to make any rash (expensive) decisions, so even though I was enamored with every single purse I touched, I vowed to take her postcard and eventually return to allow proper perusing time.
Yesterday I hassled a few roomies and got a nice little entourage to accompany me on an hour long trek to and through Palermo. On our way we checked out BASOHO Rooms, a little B&B that my mother and I will be staying at near the end of our trip.
Anyway, on to the fashion. All three of us bought bags! The owner (who was 1/2 of the local design team) couldn't have been happier, especially since each of us bought at least one thing from her winter/fall clearance line.
I don't want to boast, but I will- I got BOTH fabulous leather (I know, I'm a horrible vegetarian/quasi vegan) bags for only $70US!! It is the first time I really appreciated how much cheaper luxury (local that is) good are here in Argentina than they would be in the States.
The other little trinkets smattered in my photo are from various small kiosks, the San Telmo market, and boutiques near MicroCentro.
I have been allowing myself to drool endlessly over the fall/winter trends online, promising myself I will save my hard-earned and saved money for the holidays and for discounted US retailers. As I have mentioned previously, yes things here might be 'cheaper' with the 3.8 peso to dollar ratio, but they are not 'cheap' in a way that allows me to shop freely, buy in bulk, go loco, as I may want to.
I find myself scoffing at $849 peso leather bomber jackets, thinking, pfff, I could totally beat this price at the Rack (Nordstrom's that is.) Or think about some cute studded gladiator sandals until I encounter the $167 peso price-tag and realize that, you know what Argentina, you've got NOTHING TJ Maxx.
Maybe I'm being a snob, maybe I'm being financially savvy, but to all you US discount stores, malls, and outlets, you better watch out because I will be back in full force in a little over a month. Guard your loins.
Besos,
Breezy

PS I have added a few photos to my 'nights out' album on Picasa, check me out.

1 comment: